• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Hardware Problem

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plug
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Hardware Problem Reply with quote

I'm looking at someones PC for them (yes, they are daft!). It sounded like a PSU problem, so I thought it would be an easy fix, but I was wrong.
When I push the start button, there's hard drive and cd drive activity for about 6 seconds, then nothing. On screen I get the "no signal or cable disconnected" error. The power light stays on, and the cd light goes on when you push the eject button, but the tray doesn't come out. There are NO beeps at all. Sometimes there's floppy activity at first, sometimes not.
The first thing I swapped was the PSU, then memory. I'm thinking it's got to be the mobo or CPU, but before I recommend a big upgrade (it's a crappy old Cyrix 366) or start looking for second hand stuff...am I missing something? Any thoughts gratefully received.
Mongrel
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug - This may sound stupid, but is the power supply fan working? If not, it may be dead. If you have a multimeter, you can measure the power supply outputs.

I have a whole mess of computers here where the video card becomes partially unseated. This could be your trouble but it usually produces beep codes.

Also - give the whole machine a once-over making sure EVERYTHING is connected properly incliding the orientation of Hard Drive and Floppy cables. I have seen many machines with the cables reversed where there is exactly what you describe - no beep no video no nothing.

Next thing you should do is to unplug RAM, Hard drive and floppy cables, video card and all other cards (sound, network etc.) Power the unit on.

This should produce beep codes. If it doesn't either the bios is hosed or the mobo is toast.

If it does, plug the cables and RAM in one at a time to see if the codes stop. If it stops, your problem is in whatever you just reconnected.

Another standard proceedure that mobo manufacturers will have you try is to find the CMOS clear jumpers on the mobo and follow the instructions to clear it out and then retry. Usually the process is to unplug all power to the unit, jumper the clear cmos and power unit on.

Then does it produce beep codes? If not, you're pretty well assured that the mobo is toast
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug everything, give it a hoover and plug it all back in, 1 bit at a time.

Plug in, power on, sounds like the firmware on the CD-ROM is corrupt to me, have u tried unplugging the IDE chain the CD-ROM is on the booting it?

Get them a new one anyway, can get a 1Ghz with monitor for about £400 now.
b4rtm4n
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this happen with a duff floppy.

Nada, nicht, dick with the floppy connected.

Not one problem when it was disconnected.

Put in a new one and that worked fine as well.

£0.02
Plug
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply, lads, I appreciate it.
The first thing I tried was a power supply which I know is OK. I did notice that one of the plugs was sooty, so something's blown somewere.
I've taken off everything, so I've got the mobo, memory (tested OK), and onboard graphics & sound. Switch on, no bleeps nothing except PSU fan and CPU fan. Nothing on screen. Looks like the mobo is fried (and whatever the "sooty" plug was plugged into - hopefully not the hard drive). Oh yeah, I also reset the CMOS.
I've just bought a mobo with onboard everything and a Duron 1100, for £77. I'll put it all in tomorrow, and find out whatelse, if anything, has blown.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: