• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

M$ issue which I cant get rid of

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: M$ issue which I cant get rid of Reply with quote

Hi all,

Since we moved to office 2013 we have had an issue with Outlook, our staff are finding that when outlook is open and the close the lid of the laptop, the laptop hibernates, but when the lid is re-opened users are either presented with a black screen which they cant do anything with or, the laptop comes back and Outlook has crashed and locked up. In both cases users are forced to do a hard reset as this is their only option. The only real solution we have found is to modify the power settings so the machine does nothing when the lid is closed. Obviously I think this isnt really a solution but, masking the real issue.

I have googled the issue and so far have come up with nothing. The event logs of the machines record outlook has crashed and that's it.

Has anyone come across this issue or have any suggestions.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has happened to me with Outlook 2013. Another issue that has developed about a month ago is I can't send out email without the program rebooting, and no email goes out. I switched over to online access for the time being, and am strongly considering removing Outlook 2013 and go back to the prior version.

MS is aware of this issue, but no fix yet. And I'm rather tired of waiting.

FWIW: I've used Office 2013 since February and am of the opinion that 2010 is far superior. Plus, the graphic layout of 2013 is a bit clownish and a letdown. I can't name one feature which would be worth upgrading from 2010. Well ... Onenote has a nice copy option on the bar which simplifies copying something into Onenote for a quick save or print. That's it!
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Office 2013 wide spread so uninstalling is not that easy, as it is across 3 sites and over 1000 machines. We were hoping this could be a power management issue rather than a office issue, but, every power management settings we have tried has no effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely not all 1000 machines are laptops? I'd start reverting the laptops back to Outlook 7 first, then do the desktops. You don't need Outlook 2013 to have the Office 2013 suite work. The suite will link to whatever default mail program you set.

I left Outlook on my laptop and just deleted the accounts from it. I'm curious to see how long it takes them to fix the problem. Currently they are advising you access the online version of Outlook to handle your mail... for a business, that's gonna make the network link work very hard!
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is mostly desktops, but all our staff have laptops too and can access outlook on either machine. Surely this is not good business practice, just feels like its a were gonna shove out this software we know it has bugs but, we need it out there, and users are just gonna have to lump it!

poor show especially when you take into the consideration the cost of Office these days.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft also made it impossible to buy Office 2010 when they flooded the stores with 2013. Try buying a 2010 copy off eBay or somewhere, when you try to activate it, no go. You have to update to 2013 or do without.

Haven't found out the fee for updating from 2010 to 2013 so can't speak to that. Do know that the Univarsity 360 edition is US $89.00 for four years. You don't own it, you rent it.

Okay, so I'm renting Office for 4 years. My Outlook is broke, and they haven't fixed it yet. Shouldn't I get an extension or money back, or something?

Since there's no serious competition against Office, Microsoft can dictate the rules and change them as needed. I see another AT&T issue growing here....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: