• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Public folder restructure and replication

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Public folder restructure and replication Reply with quote

I've got a rather large amount of data in the public folders where I work and some of it needs to be shuffled about to reflect how the company works now. We're a mixed bag of Exchange 2000 Enterprise, 2003 Standard and 2007 Standard at the moment.

At present we have:
Code:

TopLevel
   -GroupA
   -GroupB
   -Office1
       -GroupC
       -GroupD
   -Office2
        -GroupE

And what I need to do is move all the groups up to the top level ie:
Code:

TopLevel
   -GroupA
   -GroupB
   -GroupC
   -GroupD
   -GroupE

If I move these folders, will the content be replicated or just a hierarchical update sent?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Really don't know for sure. Gut instinct says it should be just pointers and your data should not need to be moved / rewritten if it stays on the same folder store.

However, two things might have an impact:
- if the folders are replicated to another server, I think they will replicate as if you had just dumped a load of new data there (and deleted some corresponding stuff). Fairly sure replication can't 'see' that it was just a structural change.
- if the folders will end up with different ACLs than they had before, or even just the fact that they are inheriting from a different parent, could mean a lot of activity to re-write all the ACL stuff.

Again, totally unsure of this - don't forget to tell us the answer when you have figured it out (read: broken and then fixed it again!)
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Adam. It seems like it's a tough one for anyone to ask even the Exchange MVPs I've managed to corner! Smile lol Doesn't help that the folders are replicated between an Exchange 2000 box and 2007 one. If I've learnt nothing else from this upgrade it's that Exch00/03 and 07 interact in weird, usually unexpected, ways.

I'm going to be doing it in stages out of hours of course so fingers crossed. So far it's looked like it's going ok with out replicating the content but I may have just jinxed it now .....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: