• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

how do i know if i'm safe?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
washdcitguy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: how do i know if i'm safe? Reply with quote

sunday night i downloaded and installed Sharepod so i can transfer my music files from my iPod to my computer. about an hour after doing so, i noticed that i was not able to browse the internet ... i was not able to visit a website based on IP address or the website name. i had internet connectivity because i was still playing World of Warcraft and i was still active in Ventrilo.

i did a netstat -a and some active sessions were unfamiliar to me ... so i restored my system back to the previous day (before i installed Sharepod) and everything seemed okay.

i then ran a check with Spybot Search & Destroy and cleaned up the problems it found. i also ran an Avast check and it came up clean.

my question is now that Spybot and Avast are showing clean scans now, how do i "really" know i removed whatever malware was on my machine and no one is capturing my information?
krugger
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a note of the malware that was affecting you?

You can never be 100% sure, but if it is a common malware usually it can be removed entirely. Uncommon stuff usually leaves some files behind because of the cleaning process not being perfect. And custom stuff usually can't even be detected, so it will remain in place even after being cleaned.
washdcitguy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krug,
thanks for the response.

i did not record the problems Spybot found, i guess for the sake of good practice i should get in the habit of recording what irregularities are found. and researching them once they're cleaned up. thanks for that idea.

and i'm glad someone else agrees with me that we can't be 100% sure, i thought maybe i was missing something in regard to compsec.

enjoy your weekend.
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never be hundred percent sure, however if it is a typical malware sometimes it may be removed entirely Uncommon stuff . So at the end i can say that you are not safe at all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: