• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Need advice about a privacy issue

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfresh
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Need advice about a privacy issue Reply with quote

So I got a call from one of our HR rep to see if we can go through someone's computer to see if they typed up an inappropriate letter to a co-worker. Our HR believes they know who the individual was, but are not 100% sure. That is why they want us to go through the computer to see if we can find any traces of this letter. My question is in regards to the limitations privacy of this user. I don't believe there is any pending legal action against the user at this time, so what are the privacy limitations of going through the users computer with out their knowledge?

Thanks
Sgt_B
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its entirely up to the policies the employee signed when they were hired. Most organizations require employees to sign numerous documents including a computer or technology use policy that explicitly states that there should be no expectation of privacy for information stored or transmitted by company resources.

Find out if your HR requires employees to sign off on something like this.

Keep in mind that some countries and states grant employees certain rights regarding privacy regardless of company policy. To dig a little deeper I'd search around for your state/country and "computer privacy" in the workplace or something similar. See what you can dig up.

If you care to tell us where you're from, maybe a forum member with insight into that region can help out too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: