• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Auto Scan USBs

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csadmin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Auto Scan USBs Reply with quote

Hi!

Is it possible for an Antivirus program to automatically block and start scanning USB Flash Drive, CD or Floppy when they are inserted in the computer and then allow users to open it?

Thanks!
Godsp3ed
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to disable autoplay/autorun from your harddisk as well as usb drive, to do so.. ..open command prompt and type in the following
'X:' press enter (X=drive letter)
now type 'del autorun.* /f /s /q'
Do this for all drives, so also the usb drive and then you may scan it with an anti-virus...

Else

Download TweakUI (http://download.cnet.com/Tweak-UI/3000-2072_4-10002117.html), install it, open it and under its directories open 'My Computer/Autoplay/Types' and uncheck 'Enable Autoplay For Removable Drives'....
csadmin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you reply and suggestions. Not all the people follow the rules. Even if i disable autorun, users can still open USBs without scanning them with antivirus. That's why i need to automate the scanning process. When a user insert a usb, the antivirus program should lock it for scanning then scan it and delete any file found infected. Then it should allow user to open it.

Thanks!
Godsp3ed
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/auto-scan-usb-devices

just follow this topic, there is a long discussion on this matter but there doesn't seem to be any solution.. Sad
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Scan USBs Reply with quote

csadmin wrote:
Is it possible for an Antivirus program to automatically block and start scanning USB Flash Drive, CD or Floppy when they are inserted in the computer and then allow users to open it?

It sure is. Quite a few different AV vendors offer this type of capability. I know that McAfee for instance allows you to block usb storage devices either completely or over a certain size, prevent copying files to them, encrypt any files that are passed to the device, encrypt the entire device if you so wish and many other things.

As a more general rule though, I would suggest an AV rule that scans on file access (often refered to as "on access scan"). whilst it won't scan the drive in its entirety it will scan any file prior to it being run which may suit your situation better.
nikkeitw
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csadmin wrote:
Thanks for you reply and suggestions. Not all the people follow the rules. Even if i disable autorun, users can still open USBs without scanning them with antivirus. That's why i need to automate the scanning process. When a user insert a usb, the antivirus program should lock it for scanning then scan it and delete any file found infected. Then it should allow user to open it.

Thanks!

Using Antivirus can remove autorun.inf , such as nod32 or kaspersky ,but If you want to disable usb only

May be you can reference the following thread
http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=55640
divengrabber
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some security option while connecting any flash drive with your computer. You can block such type of connection.
Aram
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

divengrabber wrote:
There is some security option while connecting any flash drive with your computer. You can block such type of connection.

My post might be late, but I remember that there is an option to disable autorun of the drives. It is simple: just hold down the shift key while inserting the flash drives. That is all!
Also, if anyone wants to scan the usb drives while inserting them to the usb port, he or she must enable the option of the antivirus to scan automatically the drives. For example, AVG has that usefull option.
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is possible to block cd or usb scan when running scaning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Viruses // Worms All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: