• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Portable Lab from Laptop

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hussi
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Portable Lab from Laptop Reply with quote

ello everyone
I am MCSE certified and want to experiment every microsoft new technology and also want to get experties on Linux administration thats why
last month i got a new laptop which specs are as follows
Processor:-Intel core duo
HDD:-160 GB 5400RPM
RAM:-2GB
Manufacturer:-HP NC6400

Now i want to install multiple Operating system in it which details are as follows
MS Windows Vista 50GB NTFS
MS windows 7 20GB NTFS
MS windows Server 2003 40GB NTFS will contain VMWARE(having XP ,Linux client)
MS windows Server 2008 30GB NTFS will contain VMWARE(having XP ,Linux client)

Linux(RHEL5) 20GB will contain VMWARE(having XP Client)

Now kindly advice me is it possible to make multiboot(5 OS)Laptop and either my laptop is that much capable to tolerate that amount of burden
if it is possible then guide me exactly the way is to make my laptop portable Lab
guide me also the exact recipe of making Windows VMWARE having linux client

you people imediate action will be very highly appreciated
looking forward for your guidness
Nonapeptide
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Portable Lab from Laptop Reply with quote

hussi wrote:
Now kindly advice me is it possible to make multiboot(5 OS)Laptop and either my laptop is that much capable to tolerate that amount of burden

Is it possible? Probably. Is it advisable? Probably not. Juggling boot loaders and the proper order of installation and the configuration of the bootloaders might be an interesting topic, but I'm not sure if that's what you're interested in or need to know right now. Also, having only one OS operational at once is inefficient for testing things out and experimenting in a lab setup.

Quote:
guide me also the exact recipe of making Windows VMWARE having linux client

An exact guide is well beyond the scope of forum posts. VMWare Server 2.0 is very simple to operate and can be learned by trial and error along with some simple reading on VMWare's web site. Download VMWare Server 2.0, create a new virtual machine and give it a new virtual disk and you can then install a new OS inside of that virtual machine. Personally, I'd install Windows first and then install VMWare Server inside of Windows. From there, install your other OSs like Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc. etc.. 2GB of RAM might be a bit tight. I'd upgrade to at least 3GB if you plan on running more than one or two virtual machines at once. An extra hard drive to put the virtual machines on would be good too. I virtualize on my own 3GB RAM Dell XPS m1530 laptop and it works great. I'm only one exam away from my 2003 MCSE and a large portion of that certification will be due to virtualized experimenting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: