• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Recession affected you?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Recession affected you? Reply with quote

Well as we have all likely noticed there is a worldwide recession. Question is, has it affected you or your workplace? Personally speaking it has not affected me as my clientele is largely government based so they are recession proof so to speak. Though I know of many who have had their training budgets slashed as well as limited layoffs. What about you guys?

--Don
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no layoffs here but there's a ban on all overtime and employing new people though I get the feeling that a lot of this is a "just in case" move more than anything. A lot of the contracts we're winning at the moment are walk in government ones it seems so at least they're doing well. Our private sector stuff .... not so good as you can imagine.

From the IT group point of view this all means we can't expand any more as was the plan, new projects for this year are having to either be open source driven or a really good case put forward ..... the overtime still happens for us though as it's part of the job but we're a salaried department now so it makes no really difference.

all in all things are apprehensive but not even close to bad.
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the same bout as GrayCat. Not seeing a downturn in business yet but we are holding off employing new people and the introduction of new expenses rules. I mean Crystal is not too much to ask if I am away from home?

Matt_s
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt_s wrote:
I mean Crystal is not too much to ask if I am away from home?
I find it's a required minimum for breakfast but only if one is trying to keep costs down
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche.

Apparently, we are not allowed to entertain anyone in Hooters! But eating sushi off a naked woman is allowed. Laughing

Matt_s
ayana
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Recession affected you? Reply with quote

We are getting hit. No one layed off yet. We where just in a meeting about it. No more new hires, no promotions, cut backs etc...

-Lori
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Recession affected you? Reply with quote

ayana wrote:
We are getting hit. No one layed off yet. We where just in a meeting about it. No more new hires, no promotions, cut backs etc...

-Lori

Everything is flowing normally at the Fed Building in Portland, Oregon so far. The only real sign from the recession there is a larger than usual transfer request pile. And the IRS call center has been covering Denver twice now this month. I think that is more due to Denver having local weather problems than anything else.

My wife did mention that USDA is accepting only transfers and not hiring from the outside ... but they have their own complicated process that only God and tree huggers can figure out Laughing

I've been watching the economic indicaters and continue to predict that it is going to continue on a downhill slide until late summer. We won't see the private industry doing any new rehires until October if we are lucky ... but they may be recalling laid-off workers back in July or August. It all depends on how well the government can flow the economic stimulas back into the economy.

Good news is Intel is retooling their plants this spring, at about 9 billion (I think). Bad news is CAT is on the verge of closing it's doors, and John Deere has ceased ordering parts for inventory and are running off their stockpiles in 6 or 7 locations around the nation.

Keep in mind that the Governments of the Earth are spending borrowed money to shore up this problem. The more they spend, the longer it will take to pay it back, and the economic growth recovery will be burdened down by that weight for a longer period.

Let's not go into the aspect of the baby-boomer generation being on the verge of retirement, yet having their retirement savings slashed by this recession.

Overall, we will recover from this; but I do not think we will see the prosperity of the working-class that we saw in the early 2000's. I also see us stepping away from burning up oil as a fuel within the next 20 to 30 years.

As hookey as it sounds, we will not see wealth improving our prosperity, but a changing lifestyle improving our prosperity.
big tom
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in the Education/ICT sector, so we've been fine. Business is booming, in fact! We make a Virtual Learning Environment development platform, and sell VLEs made using it.

There is a slight advantage to selling a product that a government body is forcing schools to buy Wink
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not really noticing anything. We were hiring just a month or two ago due to us gaining another client (yay, us!). Some of our clients have cut back a little bit, but business is still good in the Managed Services market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've actually been busier lately than we have been over the past few months. our clients are feeling the recession, but they still need us to keep them running so that they can actually get some work done Smile
Sysop_fb
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a recession? -.-
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

January equaled the first 3 quarters of last year in gross profits. I'm very busy, and I can't find a tech to hire.

Other businesses in the area are having the same problem - nobody can hire help. Our CoC even formed a task force to try to find ways of attracting workers here.

Recession? Not around here
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your CoC to advertise in the Northwest. Microsoft let go a large group, and Intel plus Tektronics laid off here in Portland, Oregon. If they had a job fair, they'd have more applicants than they could handle.

As for the wife and I, we are looking at buying a double-wide on an acre outside of Sandy, Oregon. There's a HUGE shop on the property ... I figure you could park 6 good size Motorhomes inside it. What I'd use it for is a mystery to me. But it has a nice pool and the lot is fenced and gated. I like that...

How about that large bank there in your state that took government money then laid off 500+ workers. I thought it was funny when they flew their management down to California and had some pretty awesome intertainment (rock bands) and rented a few places for a day each. Seemed to really upset some folks, but as a fellow in California said, "They are funneling money back into the economy ... at least here in LA". Laughing
tmack
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, no raise last year and a 5% reduction this year and a 401k reduction by 2%. We are all still shaking in our boots that we are not laid off.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Dow Jones just dropped to 5K today. The government bailout has failed. We have just doubled the odds that we'll be in a depression this time next year.

I had high hopes we could ride this out as a severe recession. Now I'm just hoping that we'll be able to regulate the greed out of our financial system ... and I think it's time to allow the American car manufacturer's to go the way of Hudson, DeLorne, Oldsmobile, and other failed auto businesses.
tmack
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take exception my friend.

1) The government bailout has failed
• Did anyone really think it would work. The only bailout that would have worked would have been to pay off every mortgage note. The estimated cost of that is 10 trillion for 90% of the mortgages. I think we are already like 4 trillion in the tank for this bailout, including interest. That would have pumped so much money into the consumer markets the economy would have boomed for a quarter century. Any home purchases after the original TARP date would have been business as usual. Whatever your opinion of that solution the bottom line is, it’s our money why not give it back to us instead of sending down a rat hole.

2) regulate the greed out of our financial system
• So without greed in the financial system what do you have; communism? “Greed is Good” Gordon Gekko - Wall Street

3) allow the American car manufacturer's to go the way of Hudson ……
• I don’t disagree but I think pretty much every country that manufactures cars subsidizes their auto industry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: