• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

craigslist not really anonymous - how?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a22201
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: craigslist not really anonymous - how? Reply with quote

It's recently been proven to me that posting on Craigslist isn't really anonymous, despite seeming that way. Apparently there's software that allows someone to track down your real address and also see what other posts you've made -- despite the fact that posting APPEARS to be anonymous in every way. Can someone explain to me how this is happening? I am completely freaked out.
WebGeek182
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I use Craig's list much, I'd be interested in hearing more info about this.
MakePB
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: craigslist not really anonymous - how? Reply with quote

a22201 wrote:
It's recently been proven to me that posting on Craigslist isn't really anonymous, despite seeming that way. Apparently there's software that allows someone to track down your real address and also see what other posts you've made -- despite the fact that posting APPEARS to be anonymous in every way. Can someone explain to me how this is happening? I am completely freaked out.

If you use anonymous proxy(but real anonymous that does not spill your own ip address) then is very difficult to trace you back.
He can't use any software to trace you back because something like that does not exist and it is impossible but in extremely situation and theoretical he can trace back through contact administrator of proxy server, ask him to look into log and find your ip.In reality that happen very very incidental and mostly when authority would to trace someone. back.
If he did trace you then you was probably not anonymous at all.
ThePsyko
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not seeing any way that could happen, unless you're using some identifying information such as your email address. The only other thing I could think of is that they have some standard algorithm for munging your email address, and somebody has figured it out. Make 2 test posts using the same address and then look at the addresses posted. Be sure to also check out the source since the coded address there is different than what's showing
hax0r26
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apparently there's software that allows someone to track down your real address and also see what other posts you've made

Theres no software to track you down to your real "physical address" address. You know how many people sign up accounts with ISPs and give them bogus information or P.O Box information rather than there home "physical" address?

Quote:
despite the fact that posting APPEARS to be anonymous in every way. Can someone explain to me how this is happening? I am completely freaked out.

The postings are no more *anonymous* than they are on this website. Of course, the website your posting on will obtain your IP address and a simple query on your IP address can provide a lot of useful information. Who ISP belongs to city and state etc...

Most they can do is trace it back to the ISP that it belongs too.
They don't have access to the internal network where your "personal information" is stored, so they dont know where you live.

Espically, if you used a proxy server setup like TOR or www.hidemyass.com and disabled cookies before hand. This would assist in a little more anonymity.

Your on the net. There is no such thing as being anonymous online. Everything can be traced.

However, if you post any of your real information on the net people can put two and two together and find out where you live, call your house etc...
offradarencrypted
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: 'physical address' and IP address trace Reply with quote

[quote="offradarencrypted"]
hax0r26 wrote:

Theres no software to track you down to your real "physical address" address. You know how many people sign up accounts with ISPs and give them bogus information

There is no such thing as being anonymous online. Everything can be traced.

When getting a free webmail account you could use the address of a medium sized apartment building without an APT# in the same town as the cafe with public WiFi you are using.
Unlike getting an actual PO Box from the post office where it is against the law to tell them false information, with a free webmail account it is not against the law in the USA.

Quote:
The Korea Communications Commission said it would consider strengthening the identity verification system introduced last year to curb cyber bullying.
This requires users to verify their identity -- or registered nickname or pen name -- when they post comment or opinion.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hP_wHFRDApWYSLjHHcZYxtmUwHnw
We may see more and more identity verification as India and China already require to record your identity when you use a Internet Cafe.

Feel free to also use a proxy while using the public WiFi location you setup your webmail account, and when sending something to a website like Craigslist.
Unless you are accused of a crime Craigslist isn't going to care about your IP address but of course they have logs and they will also hand over your email address and IP address(es) to Law Enforcement as part of an investigation probably even without a warrant from a judge.

If you are paranoid you could create a Craigslist listing from one location, and then when Craigslist sends you and email with a url for verification to reply to the Craigslist website from another location miles away later that day. If you are on a public WiFi Internet access for both would be ideal to have privacy and anonymity.

If you are TRULY paranoid have a friend across the country setup the free email account first with the username and password you tell them.
You could have your email forwarded by a few different webmail accounts from different providers that you've setup from public WiFi locations.
Why? If you are so paranoid that you wouldn't want IP logs to show you have logged in to read your email to the account that craigslist has.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: