• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

LDF files

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beau71
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: LDF files Reply with quote

I have no experience in databases. Our DBA is out and something happened that caused one of the LDF files (i believe that is transaction log) to grow and take up all the free space. The system logs keep saying to do a back up of the transaction logs to free up space. I opened Enterprise Manager and did a backup of the transaction logs to a remote file server. After it completed, the LDF file was still the same size.

Can anyone explain what is happening or what I can do, luckily this server is only in charge of minor tasks.
Yeprem
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to shrink a database (Enterprise Manager)
To shrink a database

Expand a server group, and then expand a server.

Expand Databases, right-click the database to shrink, point to All Tasks, and then click Shrink Database.

To specify how much to shrink the database, select from these options:
For Maximum free space in files after shrinking, enter the amount of free space you want left in the database after shrinking. Use the Database Size, Space free value as a guideline.

Select Move pages to beginning of file before shrinking to cause the freed file space to be retained in the database files, and pages containing data to be moved to the beginning of the database files.
Click Schedule to create or change the frequency or time when the database is automatically shrunk.

Click Shrink files if you want to shrink individual database files.

Note: You cannot shrink a database smaller than the size of the model database.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to set your database into simple recovery mode before you can shrink them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: