• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Wireless connection slows then drops

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vrollins
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Wireless connection slows then drops Reply with quote

My Acer notebook is having a problem staying connected to any wireless access point, public, private, secure or open.

Acer Travelmate 3000, Intel 1.7Ghz, 504mb RAM, Windows XP Pro sp2,

wireless card - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG

On boot it connects usually without additional action and if the signal strength is good, the speed is high, up to 54Mbps. The connection speed slows over time, 10, 20, 30 minutes, the speed shown in the balloon over the tray icon drops from 54, to 36, to 24, eventually to 1Mbps then the connection drops altogether (30 to 50 min total) . The only way to reconnect is to reboot. (I'm not moving around the building.)

If used while the connection is still showing as connected, the repair connection utility will speed it up for a time but the process starts all over.

Once the connection drops, the repair utility just hangs and returns error messages after a few minutes.

I've run all the anti-spyware and anti-virus scans, I've even done a complete system restore and reinstalled Windows.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

cycleplus@comcast.net
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn of 802.1x authentication on your wireless network connection. It's on the "authentication" tab.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vrollins
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars - I owe ya, that seems to have done the trick. Many, many thanks!!!
Vic

larsmhansen wrote:
Turn of 802.1x authentication on your wireless network connection. It's on the "authentication" tab.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: