• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Linux Server Program with AD

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebrola
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Linux Server Program with AD Reply with quote

I am wanting to play with Linux in a test enviroment but want it to not only access MS AD but to act as a MS DC in the aspect of it doing everything a MS 2k/2k3 Server can do. (DC, AD, PS, FS, DHCP, Exchange...etc etc) Is there a version of Linux that can do that and still be free and legal?

I found Ubuntu Server Edition that can join a MS network and act as a login server for both MS and Linux. But it doesnt say it can BE the DC.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only a windows 2003 server can be a windows 2003 domain controller. Otherwise we'd all get rid of the nice but expensive Microsoft offering and get the free linux one. Smile

As for the other roles, you can have linux based DNS, DHCP, File and Print servers no problems and even join them to a windows domain. However, you can't have one be a DC or run Exchange. You could use one of the linux enterprise level e-mail applications though if you need an e-mail server.
ebrola
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the info and I do understand that we will be forever held in the firm grasp of the Gates's monopoly.

So Linux cant act like a DC you say...so I assume (and we all know what that means Confused ) that there is no way to make it authenticate users "like" a DC? What I am trying to do is build a small network that works "like" a domain but without the MS tag. The AD idea is the only thing I am missing then.

Any ideas for addins that will solve this for me or is there a way to set up security on folders and such?
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you want is authentication, look into LDAP, and perhaps into Kerberos as well.

This may also be of help: LDAP Linux HOWTO.

It's also perfectly possible to integrate Windows and *nix-based network with common authentication - LDAP will help there. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with MS networks, so I can't be of much help here, but I remember other posts about the subject in our forums. Try searching our site for LDAP, Active Directory and things like that.
ebrola
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank Capi...you gave me some "light" reading to do over the weekend...lol Shocked

Still trying to get as much info as I can on this since it will be my first venture into Linux land.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite welcome, always glad to help someone take their first steps into the fine operating system that is GNU/Linux Smile

Active Directory is basically an implementation of LDAP with additional Windows-specific stuff. What you're looking at here is finding a different implementation of the same base standard.

Dan.M made a nice post where he explained this, a while ago:
http://www.security-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=52094#280168
ebrola
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that one now. That post and the one about the different distros is what got me thinking about setting up the test enviroment to see what it is like and by virtue learn something new and maybe understand MS a little bit better. If you happen to know of anymore good sources for info on this stuff I could really use it.

Thanks again,
Ed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: