• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Filtering webmail for spam - on client side

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aval
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Filtering webmail for spam - on client side Reply with quote

Some of our users have complained about spam and asked me if there’s anything I can do about it.

The email we use is in fact webmail. In other words, the users don’t download messages into their Outlook or Eudora (or whatever) inbox. The email messages remain on the mail server of our ISP. Yes, the ISP does run a spam filter but, as expected, it does not block ALL spam.

Given such a setup, is there any additional spam filtering I could set up on the client side, remembering, once again, that the email messages remain on the ISP mail server and never really enter our network?

I rather doubt it, but thought I'd get a second opinion.

Aval
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtering webmail for spam - on client side Reply with quote

aval wrote:
Some of our users have complained about spam and asked me if there’s anything I can do about it.

The email we use is in fact webmail. In other words, the users don’t download messages into their Outlook or Eudora (or whatever) inbox. The email messages remain on the mail server of our ISP. Yes, the ISP does run a spam filter but, as expected, it does not block ALL spam.

Given such a setup, is there any additional spam filtering I could set up on the client side, remembering, once again, that the email messages remain on the ISP mail server and never really enter our network?

I rather doubt it, but thought I'd get a second opinion.

Aval

No - if you're accessing this via a webmail system then the 'e-mails' aren't e-mails to your system in any palpable way, shape, or form, and any normal antivirus or antispam package won't see them as such - in order to filter them out of a webmail addressbox, your antispam package would actually have to parse the webpage itself and remove or hide parts of it whilst it's being displayed. This would be hideously inefficient, and is why spam is always (to my knowledge) filtered either by the server or at a lower level by a mail client itself! Smile

Hope this helps! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: