• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Mac G5 having trouble connecting to a WIN 2000 server.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_ruce
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Mac G5 having trouble connecting to a WIN 2000 server. Reply with quote

I have a G5 mac that can't connect to a WIN 2000 server through SMB services. I can connect to a few other computers on the network just fine.

We've so far just transferred the files we needed to a different PC that the G5 can connect to. It's just so much more convenient for me to have the G5 connect directly to the server.

I have a X-serve server which all the Macs are networked, I can connect to the X-serve just fine from my computer and the WIN 2000 server. When I try to connect from the G5 through finder and connect options under networks. The pinwheel spins forever... I left it spinning for about a 1 hour when I went to lunch and back.

This just started happening last weeks and I can't seem to figure it out.

Anyone got any suggestions?
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly...

Make sure it is on the same subnet and IP range.
Also make sure that all of your H.W parts are working properly. Sometimes onboard NIC cards of MAC do have slight problems.
Use an alternative one , in a PCI slot.
Check that your smb service is indeed running on the background.
I take you are running MacOS-X
Open a terminal and with the su command , change to root account (you are supposed to have this password from the manufacturer or the reseller).
Type ps -e and search for anything that will look like smb service. If it is not there , then it is not running.
Also make sure you have enabled Tcp-IP protocol on your machine. Sometimes appletalkk has several issues , regarding connections to MS servers.

Gandalf
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually su does not work on macs, you should use sudo instead.
precisesecurity
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is strange but it happens. I have experinced this when the mac passwords use is more than 8 characters... i lessen it to 7, 6, 5... and it can connect now, though it may not be so secure, i am not a mac guy but my boss uses mac.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: