• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Locked Out Of Accounts

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Locked Out Of Accounts Reply with quote

I downloaded the new system update for Mac OS X 10.3.3 when I restarted I was locked out of all 5 of my user accounts. I am able to go into single user mode, but that is the extent of my knowledge. I don't have a Mac OS X CD, nor would it matter because my CD-R drive is broken. People I've talked to (COMPUSA, BestBuy) say the best thing to do is buy a CD Rom drive for like $600, which I AM NOT going to do. I think they just want my money, because others who I have talked to (Mac Experts) say I should be able to get into the OS using single user mode, which is unpassword protected root. I mean, if you have GOD access to the system how hard is it to change the password on the account, or even add a new user for that matter. I think there has to be a way to fix this problem without the whole "format and restore" attitude towards it.

Levon Clark,
http://www.datawhore.org/
5oger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay have a read of http://www.securemac.com/macosxsingleuser.php which will tell you how to get at the passes. hold down the keys S and the apple key until you get into the text mode. then follow the intructions on that site.

as a note the latest update is 10.3.4 for mac OS X

roger and out
arcsine
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could work... hopefully it will ...

but it seems like your drive might have some other information messed up besides the passwords...

invest in an external firewire HD and an OS X CD... take the hard drive to another Macintosh... use the os X CD to install the system on the external drive...

take the external drive back to your computer and start up holding the option key ... that should give you a choice of which system folder to start from...

this may seem like a bigger solution than you're looking for.... it is... now you'll have an external HD to back up to before you do any more system updates...

BTW get Cocktail to repair permissions and to do Cron Jobs before you do updates...
5oger
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought levon i don't know what mac you have but assuming it has a firewire port you could also try getting a friend with a mac to help by connecting the 2 macs together and starting up your mac in firewiremode. this would allow you to one try to repair the drive using disk utility though it is the same as fsck and if said friend has other disk utilities. then can give them a go that said if osx has made a hash of instaation it probably is a wipe the disk and start again, you could try a combo update to 10.3.4 but that would be a long shot.
filthyphil
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO i am locked out of my accounts also and I read the page that you guys suggested but when i tried the passwd root command nothing popped up and when i input the nidump passwd command then i dont know what to do next...I am not a developer I just want to know how to get into my computer
arcsine
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go over to www.macfixit.com for self service searching for answers...

or try www.yourmaclife.com the forums there are very friendly and helpful...

find out about Diskwarrior ... perhaps it could help
jher
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: finding root password Reply with quote

I was very interested in that tutorial!! i tried it out on my machine by holding command S while booting. i was able to boot up, but when i tried to have it dump my password, nothing happened. Does this process ussually take a long time? or am i doing something wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: