Recovering data

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: dellthinker PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Recovering data
    ----
HI all. I have a fairly brand new 750GB Western Digital external USB drive. When i say fairly new i mean i _just_ got the pos about 4 months ago. Anyway, the device that connects the to drive that has the USB port and the power adapter seemed to have crapped out. I've googled for hours until i finally called WD and demanded a solution(or my money back)

As it turns out they use cheap hardware to build these, the drive itself is actually still good. Except i cant get any of my data off of it because of the device that it connects to. The drive looks exactly like this. With the exception of the missing cover ofcourse. My question is this. Since the device that comes with the drive is fried, what other tools can i use to get my info before i send it back to WD? I have some SATA cables at my job but they dont fit on any of the computers motherboards i work with, they all use IDE. Any suggestions? Thanx in advance!

Author: RoboGeekLocation: LeRoy, IL PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject:
    ----
you can slave it to another computer, buy an empty drive enclosure or buy an adapter to do it with USB.

Any computer shop can get the data off for you too - usually around $50

Author: dellthinker PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
RoboGeek wrote:

Any computer shop can get the data off for you too - usually around $50

I work for a computer shop Cool

I'll go with the USB idea.

Author: jhonas PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:
    ----
you can also recover data by using system restore utility which is pre specified in windows. press windows key then goto programs, then accessories, then system tools and after click on in system restore by using this you can restore your data

Author: jeckmichal PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
u have need of SATA to IDE converter data cable.In this way your computer detect of sata harddisk and recover of all data by using data recovery software.

Author: michaellima PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Recovering data
    ----
There are many utilities available in the market that will help you to recover lost, damaged data. In windows you have different file systems and all the files systems have some specific recovery software like the NTFS recovery software which recover data from NTFS file system.

Author: SecurityTrend PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Think the OP just needed a physical solution and sounds like he got one.

It's good that a WD 3.5" drive was in the case, as these can be used on most desktops anyway, hence buying a good drive with the USB drive solution.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Every PC technician should go out and buy one of the adapaters that lets you connect a Hard Drive to a USB port on your computer, someday you will need it.

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1