What is most important in an Antivirus Software Solution?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> General Software
What is the best paid for Antivirus Software provider?
Mcafee
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Norton
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
K7 Computing
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Panda
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CA
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trend Micro
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Avast
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Eset
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Other (please comment)
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author: ironside74 PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: What is most important in an Antivirus Software Solution?
    ----
I have read many reviews and was wondering what people views were on what should be the first thing users look for in an Antivirus Software solution. Is it how many viruses are detected? or is it how the viruses are dealt with? or is it just an all round solution that protects to a good level from viruses, adware, spyware etc...

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I am primarily concerned with detection rate and resource usage.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:
    ----
ryansutton wrote:
I am primarily concerned with detection rate and resource usage.
at the end of the day that's what it's all about.

anyone seen these new "cloud based" AV solutions? Prevx is one that I've run across recently.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
graycat wrote:

anyone seen these new "cloud based" AV solutions? Prevx is one that I've run across recently.

Don't do it, it's a trap!! Very Happy

Actually as long as definition updates don't take up too much bandwidth I can see that being a good way to go. One less server to manage.

Author: SimOLocation: Carlisle, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject:
    ----
My big concerns when choosing an Anti-virus program were the following;

1. Security
2. Configuration
3. Utilization

I tried multiple programs and ultimately ended up purchasing ESET and their NOD32. I loved their features, capabilities and suited me perfectly. I think everyone should try out different programs and see what best suits them. Most companies offer trials or free basic versions of the application.

-Johnny

Author: RoboGeekLocation: LeRoy, IL PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject:
    ----
why you have norton and mcafee on the list is a mystery. Even if you ignore the resource hog problems, they are consistently the worst at detection

Prevx isn't new, and its not 'cloud' based. It verifies your license, so you have to be online to use it, but the software is on the PC. Its actually one of the better ones for detecting rootkits

You totally forgot AVG and Avira, both of which blow away paid solutions even in their free version.

And the #1 detection software for 2009 is Kaspersky - again! As tested by Digital Investigation and SC

Author: raicamortensen PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject:
    ----
i think it can not take longe time for updation and it provide good security and its utility is easey.

Author: ironside74 PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject:
    ----
RoboGeek wrote:
why you have norton and mcafee on the list is a mystery. Even if you ignore the resource hog problems, they are consistently the worst at detection

Prevx isn't new, and its not 'cloud' based. It verifies your license, so you have to be online to use it, but the software is on the PC. Its actually one of the better ones for detecting rootkits

You totally forgot AVG and Avira, both of which blow away paid solutions even in their free version.

And the #1 detection software for 2009 is Kaspersky - again! As tested by Digital Investigation and SC

Thank you for the feedback, unfortunately I was limited to the choices I could add, however I was more keen to get some feedback and create discussion.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:
    ----
RoboGeek wrote:
Agreed with Norton and McAfee being resource hogs.

RoboGeek wrote:
ok, it's new to me at least but according to a recent presentation by one of their guys it is cloud based. Looking at the pretty graphics on their website it seems it blats back the infection details and then updates everyone else so is interesting at least.

RoboGeek wrote:
Could not agree more! I love AVG for Windows and recommend it to many people. I even use it on my own Windows VMs as it is just so lightweight.

RoboGeek wrote:
yet again they come out top. pity they're not so high profile as they'd make a killing

Author: josephpaul PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject:
    ----
We know that people use different software and tools to make their work flow easy and systematic. Also by project management software people can protect their important project data. Because security of project data is really necessary for everybody.

Author: NeviLocation: Copenhagen PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I voted other,because I am Kaspersky fan.I think the new KIS 2010 is the perfect combo of detection,and footprint. Cool

Author: tw33kLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject:
    ----
Detection rate is the most important factor to me. I've got a clean system and want to keep it that way. I've trialled most major AV software but NOD32 is without doubt my choice. I've been using it for nearly 10 years and have always been well protected. What I'm sick of hearing from people is that "<program x> using far less system memory than NOD32". That may be true in some cases but I don't care. I have 8GB of RAM and NOD32 uses around 42MB. Doesn't affect my system at all. And I'd bet that NOD32's detection rates beats <program x> every time.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject:
    ----
the only problem i've ever encountered with nod32 was when an old client tried installing it on all their computers and it totally blocked all connections to the server and domain features. they were transitioning to a new IT company from ours so we never did get to go in and try to fix it...

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject:
    ----
tw33k wrote:
What I'm sick of hearing from people is that "<program x> using far less system memory than NOD32". That may be true in some cases but I don't care. I have 8GB of RAM and NOD32 uses around 42MB. Doesn't affect my system at all. And I'd bet that NOD32's detection rates beats <program x> every time.

If an anti-virus program takes up so many resources that it slows down a system, it is creating the same problem that malware often causes - the inability to get stuff done. Installing 8GB of RAM is usually not practical in a business environment. For home use, not a problem.

Author: techsniper PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I'll also side with kaspersky...it's a great antivirus software... This article should be helpful in deciding which antivirus is better and why

http://www.pcsecurityworld.com/what-makes-a-good-antivirus-better.html

Author: jhonas PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject:
    ----
The most thing which i expected from antivirus software that is my data security.

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 2