Need advice on a firewall

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: JoeS PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Need advice on a firewall
    ----
Using Slackware 12.2

I need some advice on choosing a firewall:

Is a router good on its own for protection?
What would a firewall add for support?
Is there firewalls that I could install on a router or on a separate hard drive?

appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.

Author: hebaLocation: Cremona (Italy) PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject:
    ----
hi,

in Linux there are much kind of firewall, depend what you need and what you want.

iptables: you can set the rules of the firewall directly, block entire group of ip intranet network or not, block the port or entire group of port or not. It's particular like firewall and much complecated do it, but it's the best if you want a good security in your network.

shorewall: good firewall, much distribution use it by default (like mandriva), you can set this firewall directly in /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf, or in an appositely windows in your desktop manager, is easy to use and configurate, in /var/log/shorewall you can view all log file in this section of shorewall, to check every day, to control if someone pass the network.

firestarter: much easy and friendly to use and manage, all is on desktop manager, you can save when you want the log file about the attack in a file.

I know only this, I know that there are some people that use ipcop but I don't know much of this.

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1