What Linux/Unix Distributions Are You Running?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: kimtech PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: What Linux/Unix Distributions Are You Running?
    ----
Hello.

Hi I'm new here...

I see quite a few Ubuntu posts, is that what everyone is using?

What distro are you using?

What kind of setup do you have?

Lets see what kind of a mix is out there...

Moderator note: edited to remove commercial sig, serial spam - capi

Author: hebaLocation: Cremona (Italy) PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What Linux/Unix Distributions Are You Running?
    ----
kimtech wrote:
Hello.

Hi I'm new here...

I see quite a few Ubuntu posts, is that what everyone is using?

What distro are you using?

What kind of setup do you have?

Lets see what kind of a mix is out there...

Moderator note: edited to remove commercial sig, serial spam - capi

excuse me, I will be sure stupid, but I misunderstand what do you need know exactly.

Why do you want to know our distro and specially set up?

Confused

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject:
    ----
ooooooo, I get to beat capi to a linux post!!! Laughing

Personally I'm running CentOS and ESX distro's at work. The ESX is our VMWare host server whilst the CentOS installs are running as different things. One is a Nagios install so does our server / service monitoring, one is an ftp server I'm working on and another is a test rig for the other admins to abuse when they have time.

At home I've got CentOS, Debian and ESX again all as virtual machines on an OS X laptop.

heba - I think the poster is just interested in who's got what and what they're using it for. they're not asking for admin access or even personal information regarding the installs so it's pretty harmless

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject:
    ----
heba wrote:
Why do you want to know our distro and specially set up?

kimtech is a spammer who posted some 30 random posts yesterday trying to flood us with commercial URLs in his signature. I removed most of them but left this one here, hoping we could use it for an interesting GNU/Linux discussion.

graycat wrote:
ooooooo, I get to beat capi to a linux post!!! Laughing

Nooooo!!!!!!! Laughing

(actually if you notice the small red letters on the original post, you'll see I was the mod who removed the spam links from the post... I was here while he was posting his spam lol)

Anyway, back to the topic...

I use Gentoo on my main desktop because I love its flexibility and it's just an extremely well thought out distribution. USE flags beat anything else in the ability for customization, and there are no release updates to break things, it's all just one rolling release. It's the most stable machine I've got.

For the laptop, I use Ubuntu, because I just want something low maintenance that works.

At work we use Gentoo Hardened for the servers and routers (obviously... it beats every other GNU/Linux distro hands down for out-of-the-box security), an in-house derivative of Ubuntu for the user workstations, and on my own admin box I've got regular Ubuntu. Again, just wanted something low maintenance that worked.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:
    ----
capi wrote:
(actually if you notice the small red letters on the original post, you'll see I was the mod who removed the spam links from the post... I was here while he was posting his spam lol)
Nooooooo!! Laughing

capi wrote:
.... just wanted something low maintenance that worked...
I've noticed you mentioned this a few times. So why didn't you get a Mac? coz they "just work" ya know

*runs and hides from the lit fireworks that are about to go off!*

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I have a web server at home running on Cent OS. I went with CentOS because the best (easiest) tutorial I could find suggested Cent OS for a LAMP setup.

I have tried a few different flavors for my workstations. Back in the early/mid 90's I was using Slackware which lasted a few years, switched to Free BSD, but this was strictly for office/admin type work. Around 2000 I stopped using Linux until a few years ago in which I tried Gentoo, Ubuntu and CentOS. I chose CentOS over the previous two as the information I needed was tailored to that Distro and I couldn't be bothered to translate my work for a different distro.

At work I plan on deploying some type of a Linux server as my SNMP software reportedly runs better on Linux than Win32. I will probably go with Ubuntu at work so I can have a trim distro with only what I need on there.

I doubt I will deploy any other Linux distro's at work as the other Sys Admin does not know Linux.

Author: NonapeptideLocation: Scottsdale, Arizona PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I went with debian 4 for a month or so while my regular computer was in for repairs. That was... interesting. The strict GNU-only package manager got on my nerves. Every time I had to stray from the idealism of free software (like, say, to install Flash player) I was in for a headache. Oh, and X Window needed a heart transplant to go above 1024 x 768 on my onboard Intel video.

I'm enticed by OpenSUSE and hope to switch to that sometime in the not too distant future as NVIDIA makes Linux drivers for my 8600M that came with my Dell XPS1530. Other than that, I've only tinkered with distros. Those that I've tinkered with are too numerous to mention. BackTrack seems cool for networking and security pros.

Author: Bannerd PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject:
    ----
FreeBSD, OpenBSD

Run OpenBSD as a firewall with PF. I also run openbsd as a router which tunnels our company with IPSEC. FreeBSD as a mail server running postfix+amavis+spamassassin and clam av. I also have squid on another freebsd box that runs our internet cache.

I just started to get into embedded system with openbsd, really nice.. my goal is to make a embedded router in the future, hopefully I can make some progress on this, right not it's junk in a corner of the room.

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject:
    ----
graycat wrote:
So why didn't you get a Mac? coz they "just work" ya know
Because Ubuntu "just works" too, and I wanted to actually spend less than it would take to renovate my house Razz

ryansutton wrote:
I will probably go with Ubuntu at work so I can have a trim distro with only what I need on there.
You do realize you just described Gentoo, right? Wink

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject:
    ----
capi wrote:
You do realize you just described Gentoo, right? Wink

I guess you are right, but my Linux skill is too noobish to implement Gentoo at work. Ubuntu looked like it would be slim (compared to CentOS) and easy to get up and going. I used Ubuntu in the past and it seemed nice! I've also used Gentoo in the past and while I learned a lot setting it up I don't want to do it again.

Author: capiLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:
    ----
ryansutton wrote:
I guess you are right, but my Linux skill is too noobish to implement Gentoo at work. Ubuntu looked like it would be slim (compared to CentOS) and easy to get up and going. I used Ubuntu in the past and it seemed nice! I've also used Gentoo in the past and while I learned a lot setting it up I don't want to do it again.

Oh definitely, Ubuntu is very nice! I use it on my sysadmin box, simply because I didn't want to be bothered with having to maintain the PC I use to maintain other PCs.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I am using RHEL at the moment, am trying to pass RHCE, eugh. But I am using CentOS and Fedora at work, yes, yes I know its all the same thing.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject:
    ----
matt_s wrote:
am trying to pass RHCE, eugh.

Good luck with that and Make a toast when you pass.

Author: hebaLocation: Cremona (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:
    ----
Nonapeptide wrote:
I went with debian 4 for a month or so while my regular computer was in for repairs. That was... interesting. The strict GNU-only package manager got on my nerves. Every time I had to stray from the idealism of free software (like, say, to install Flash player) I was in for a headache. Oh, and X Window needed a heart transplant to go above 1024 x 768 on my onboard Intel video.

Debian have only a problem, much driver there aren't or are too old to install something.

So if you must work with debian and you want a particolar hardware to work, like graphic tablet, you will have much problem to run it and to have a correct drive you might change a kernel, probably a kernel don't sure, and so have a ibrid and then can't upgrade the system, because with etch it's impossible have a ibrid, and with other new release.

I think every distribution is particular for each work, Debian is right if you haven't particular hardware or particular work, and so every other distribution.

Depend what you want and what you need...Wink

Author: hebaLocation: Cremona (Italy) PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject:
    ----
capi wrote:

kimtech is a spammer who posted some 30 random posts yesterday trying to flood us with commercial URLs in his signature. I removed most of them but left this one here, hoping we could use it for an interesting GNU/Linux discussion.

ok, no problem...I had a problem with the network and I don't see this...Smile

I haven't a distribution, I use much distribution, from debian to ubuntu, derivates and not... :S

Author: pirateboy PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
At the moment I am using Debian. I think I am going to be using it for a while because it offers pretty much every thing I believe a good linux distro should.

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 2