spam emails

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

Author: Jessica87 PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: spam emails
    ----
Hello

Can anyone help me figure out how to avoid spam emails entering my mail teritory.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I think you're going to be on a loosing battle against the spammers as with everyone else. The best you can hope is to mitigate things as much as possible.

So, tell us about your environment some and we'll throw out some ideas. Is it for home or for work? what mail systems are you running? etc

oh, and welcome to the forum too Wink

Author: computek7 PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Stopping Spam Emails
    ----
There are different types of spam emails,which can be stopped by installing an Anti-Spam Software, and also an anti-virus software can help us protect from potential virus threats.

Though Spam emails are being filtered by your anti-spam software, still if you happen to receive 1 or 2 spam emails, then you need to be aware of how to recognize them.

There are spam emails, which are being sent stating that you have won a lottery or so, requesting your contact details, which we claim as phishing, and there are some mails that will claim, if you send it to 100 people you will get $2000 and so, which we term as chained emails and so on. Some request for charity too. So what happens is, the person who receives this mail thinks that this true and shoot those emails to their friends in their address book, so does their friends too. I wish you need to go through my personal weblog where, I have analysed about spam emails.

A hoax chained email - http://yuvi-internetsecurity.blogspot.com/2006/07/try-to-understand-what-is-spam_18.html

A false email stating, Microsoft's Bill Gates sharing his fortune and so - http://yuvi-internetsecurity.blogspot.com/2008/02/uk-requirement-bill-gates-is-sharing.html

So until we get aware, the phisher will follow us. So lets try to understand what a spam is. Moreover, its always good not to open an attachment unless it is scanned for virus, because a spam email may also come with a file attached, contain virus.

Author: dyc.chien PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: spam emails
    ----
There is a way that can identify spoofed email by checking email header Received field. The sender IP address is logged by the receiving SMTP server so the sender cannot alter this information. Using DNS reverse lookup, we can find the Sender's domain name. Then we will know for sure if this email is spoofed or not. This does not find all spam email but it is one step ahead.

Daniel

Author: computek7 PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Spam emails
    ----
Yeah Daniel you are right. Thanks for the heads up....

And almost the website url containing the spam emails, always redirects to some other link. By seeing the website address too it can be identified.

Author: harrisgarryas PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
If you are using Yahoo Email then they have a great feature called "Disposable Address". Whenever you give out your address to anyone you don't want email from use it. Then, when you get spam you can see where it is coming from and delete that "disposable address."email sender software services should help bring your advertising into the current century and make you a force to be reckoned with on the Internet.

Moderator note: removed commercial link spam - capi

Author: JamesMorgan PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I got fed up with spam, I signed up with gmail.com (transfer from hotmail) and my spam emails have reduced drastically. I couldn't rate them highly enough.

Although to be honest, I had my hotmail email address for over 10 years and gmail address for a mere 6 months, so my hotmail email address had more time to get sent to spam lists and harvested etc.

My hunch though comes from other people opinions mainly and apparantly gmail is very good with regards to spam.

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1