iphoto and email problem

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: iphoto and email problem
    ----
Good Day! I have a problem with my email program, whenever i click it, it doesnt seem to work. My other problem is that all my iphoto has disappeared. Whenever i want to fix the problem and run Disk Utility, my Disk Utility doesnt seem to work either.
I hope this problem would be overcome. tnx...

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
do any of your apps work? did you install anything at all recently, hardware or software? what version of os are you using?

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject:
    ----
What email program were you using?
When you say that "all my iPhoto has disappeared" do you mean that there is no iPhoto program or that your photos have vanished?
What do you mean "Disk Utility doesnt seem to work either"? Does it launch? Can you choose Repair Permissions?
Give some detail!

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: mail and iphoto problem
    ----
im using mac os tiger. all the photos actually disappeared. the disk utility will not launch. when the mail programs icon is clicked it wont launch the mail program.

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
We really could use some more information...
Your iPhoto pictures live in your User Account. Do you have more than one account? Check System Preferences --> Accounts.
The fact that none of your programs will launch probably means that for some reason your System needs to be re-installed. Choose the Option to Preserve Users and Settings. That way nothing in your User Account will be erased.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:
    ----
if you have the tiger install disk you can run disk utility from that. boot up to the tiger disk and i believe it's under the utilities menu. *DON'T* run the system installer. you will lose all your data. choose the menu option instead and run disk utility

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Running the System Installer will not erase your data. It can, if you want it to, you can choose to reformat the drive and choose to erase your data. But you can also choose to reinstall the System and preserve your account settings and data. Which is what I recommend.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
yeah, but very rarely will you need to reinstall tiger when simply running disk utility should be good enough

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject:
    ----
iphoto is working now. i am left with 1 problem, which is the mail program, it wont start no matter how much i click on it. no, i dont have the tiger installation disk. the disk utility doesnt seem to work. The error message i get when i run disk utility is this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error Starting Disk Utility background process

Disk Utility started but a backgroung process needed in Disk Utility didn't start properly. Please quit and restore Disk Utility.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then whenever i close that message box, it wont close. I have to use force quit to close it. what could be the problem with my Mail.?

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject:
    ----
just a quick thought but are you on the latest version of tiger os?

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject:
    ----
its version 10.4.4 i think...

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
10.4.8 is the latest version. try updating to that if you can and see if anything gets better. if it doesn't try to auto update, you can go to system preferences -> software update -> check now. get all the updates you can and let us know if it helped at all.

if not, there's a way to run disk utility without the original install disk, but if you can get a copy of that disk it would make things much easier Smile

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
when i try to install updates it doesnt install, it will search for updates but will not continue searching. the progress bar doesnt move. what is that other way that you are saying without using the utility disk?

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:
    ----
reboot your computer and as soon as you hear the chime hold down the command (apple) and s keys until you see the white text come up. this will put you in single user mode. at the prompt type

Code:
/sbin/fsck -fy

and it will do its thing. if the first pass doesn't come back with "file system ok", then keep running that command until it says "ok" at the end. good luck!

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject:
    ----
what does the command /sbin/fsck -fy do?

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject:
    ----
Mail.crash.log

PID:266
Thread: Unknown
link(dyld) error:
library not loaded: /system/library/Framework/InstantMessage.framework/Versions/A/InstantMessage

Reference from: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
Reason: Image not found

i got this message from the mail crash log. What does this mean?
i also ron the /sbin/fsck -fy command and it says that my HD is ok.
and also what does it mena image not found? what kind of image.
how do i remedy this problem?

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:
    ----
The fsck command is a file system check that does the same thing as booting to your OS X Install CD and running Disk Utility > First Aid from the Installer menu.

fsck fixes the five most common types of UNIX directory damage:

1. unreferenced inodes
2. inexplicably large link counts
3. unused data blocks not recorded in the blockmap
4. data blocks listed as free that are also used in a file
5. incorrect summary information in the superblock

In other words, it is a tuneup for your hard drive.

Author: minkata PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: wikerandvine Mail
    ----
there is nothing wrong with the machine , the system is looking for the application folders and cannot find them . I had the problem with i-photo , and the solution after lenghty googling etc... was to download "pacifist" it's free to try and fully functional so you can actually repair without buying it . This application let you access any applications on your install disk and performs a reinstall for the chosen app , in your case Mail.
I hope this will prove useful .
Minkata

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:
    ----
if it performs a reinstall of mail, do i have to have the original installer for the mail program? does pacifist look for the installation disk or cd where the Mail program is.?

Author: minkata PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: wikerandvine -mail issue
    ----
Yes , you need the install disk .Whomever sold you the machine must have the install disk and I am sure will be more than helpful as you are entitled to them ." Pacifist" will read the install disk and show the list of all applications in a tree like fashion , so locating applications is easy.
what is displaced or missing is the application image ." Pacifist "will install any chosen applications at the proper place . Your mail folders will probably still contain your mail ,because when I reinstalled i-photo . my photos where still there. it took me all up ten minutes , I was so impressed I bought ...etc ;-) after that I ran "onyx" to restore and clean whatever traces .
Otherwise ,unless there are real Gurus out-there to pinpoint what happened and show us a step by step command line to correct the problem , it means reinstalling the whole OS . I am not a "Guru" and my solution is empirical , meaning lacking in finesse (:-*
Minkata

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject:
    ----
if the only thing you can't do is run mail, and you can't get a tiger install disk to fix it, then maybe you should try using mozilla thunderbird as your mail client. it's got a few more features than mac mail and at least you will still have a mail client until you can figure out what you want to do about mail not working.

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject:
    ----
i havent reinstalled Mail yet. and its still not working. How can i back up my mails just in case. can i back up my mails even though my MAIL program doesnt work?

Author: minkata PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Mail probs
    ----
Hi ,Wickerandvine ,
Check if you can access your Mail ,your mailboxes are located in Library/Mail/Mailboxes in your home folder... (not the hardrive library)
They should be intact , you can easily make a copy to be sure.
As suggested by moondoggie , another mail program can be installed and the Mail folders (mailboxes) can be imported into it , if only to test the integrity of the folders contents.
I hope this will prove helpful
Minkata

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject:
    ----
where is the library for iphoto located? my mails in /library/mails/mailbox is not there.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject:
    ----
i'm not entirely familiar with the way the current version of iphoto works, but previous versions always used <home dir>/pictures/iphoto library

Author: catwomanLocation: Edinburgh, Scotland PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yep, that's where my iphoto library is

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject:
    ----
how do i use pacifist? do i have to install it?

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject:
    ----
i have the installation disk now (disk1 & disk2). My question now is how will i run the disk utility in the installation disk.? do i have to reinstall the disk utility that resides on the computer or i can run disk utility directly from the installation disk?

Author: minkata PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: iphoto and Mail problem
    ----
Great ! Wickerandvine , you have the install disks.
and Pacifist . When you downloaded Pacifist , two items appeared on your desktop . an external drive icon marked Pacifist and a .dmg (disck image)
The machine probably opened the "finder window" where you could see the pacifist icon and the readme file . the readme file would have explained in detail how to use "pacifist".
To Install simply drag the "pacifist icon" to the application folder or the hard drive folder .
Check the application folder to see if the Icon is now in the application folder. double click on it to see if it works .
I like to keep the read-me file in a read-me file folder which I have created in documents ;simply drag the read-me file to documents . You must have noticed there are two documents folders , the hard-drive documents folder and the "home" documents folder , so make a choice and stick to it otherwise you will be forever looking for stuff ;-)
Now you have more choices . You can either drag the "dmg" on your desk-top in the trash bin or decide to keep it in a "dmg" folder. I like to keep them , but this is not necessary and uses space . Now you can Eject the drive from the finder window because the programme is installed.
Since you have double-clicked on the icon to see if the application "Pacifist" was working ok then you can see a small window marked "pacifist" .
Insert disk one , the content of the disk will be displayed in a tree like fashion , browse to find the applications packages ,look under : System/Installation/Packages/ most packages are marked Essentials.pkg you will find mail
or iphoto whichever you want to install , click on it and "pacifist" will install the package .It's that easy
Good luck .
Minkata

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject:
    ----
If i reinstall my mail program, will my mails and other important stuff be deleted? I have the installation disk now so My question now is how will i run the disk utility in the installation disk.? do i have to reinstall the disk utility that resides on the computer or i can run disk utility directly from the installation disk?

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:
    ----
disk utility can be run directly from booting to the install disk. make sure you do not run the installer

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:
    ----
how can i boot form the install disk and run disk utility. In mac i try to run disk utility but it said that a program in background process that is required by disk utility did not start properly.

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:
    ----
The error in Disk Utility says something like this:

Error Starting Disk Utility background process

Disk Utility started but a background process needed in Disk Utility din't start properly. Please quit and restart Disk Utility.

Author: minkata PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: iphoto and mail problem
    ----
Hi , wickerandvine,
<If i reinstall my mail program, will my mails and other important stuff be deleted?> the short answer is no ; however the machine might not be able to locate the folder if it has been renamed or displaced . I suppose you did use finder to locate your mail folder.
Reading your posts , I am not sure if you did or did not locate your mail folder ;make every effort to locate the mail folder or try to find the "sent" folder or any mailboxes that you created in mail . Search in "everywhere" or "home" directory or if your recall any documents that where attached to your mail then make a search for them through the "finder" when you find what you are looking for the "finder" will tell you the location and the name of the mail folder if it had been renamed . I would to start with, download Onyx "a free app"and run its restore and optimise functions to see if it can help . Since you found your iphoto library it's ok to reinstall iphoto as you will be able to access your pictures .To be sure ,why not make an archive of your picture library . By the way I would reinstall disk utility since it doesn't hold any data .
Good luck
Minkata

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject:
    ----
how can i run disk utility by booting thru the installation disk without reinstalling the disk utility????? we've tried already reinstalling disk utility and email but unfortunately the same error i will receive. by the way, ny iphoto is ok now. i still got problems with mail and disk utility.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
did you actually boot to the install disk?? there is a version of disk utility in the menu options of the install disk if you would just boot to it.

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject:
    ----
im a newbie in MAC. how can i boot to the install disk? can you give me specific instructions? your response is highly appreciated. tnx in advance.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:
    ----
put the cd in then restart. when you hear the startup chime, hold down the C button until the OS boots. the installer will try to re-install the OS, just cancel it and choose disk utility from the menus at the top of the screen.

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject:
    ----
i've already started booting form the installation disk and went through the disk utility. i am presented with lines in red color. they are as follows:

1. Reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data.

2. Invalid leaf record count.
(it should be 6 instead of 734).

3. The volume MAC HD needs to be repaired.

What does those sentence above means??

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:
    ----
I tried to repair after i verified the disk volume and after repair has done its job its said:

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired

what shall i do?? i have no idea about trying this things on MAC. Pls help.....tnx in advance...

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:
    ----
Disk utility didnt work. When i try to run my MAIL program it still didnt work. Then i viewed the crash log and it said in the last portion:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/PRivateFrameworks/InstantMessage.framework/Versions/A/InstantMessage

Referenced from: /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail
Reason: image not found

what does this mean? Pls. help... Crying or Very sad

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
sounds like the library that runs mail got corrupted somehow. if you have enough room you can try to do an "archive and install" fresh installation of your system, but check the instructions on the apple website before you do this, as you could potentially lose everything on your hard drive...

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:
    ----
So is there no other way? like can i just remove the MAIL program and reinstall it with my mails and contact list being intact? If it can be done this way, i really need to know how exactly to do it step by step with clear instructions. Forgive me guys but im very much new to MAC and i really need some guidance here. tnx a lot guys in advance, tnx for the support...

Author: minkata PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Mail problem
    ----
Hi ! Wickerandvine ,
You have very few options , but options none the less .
A-You want to keep your mail folders and addresses.
B-You want to restore your corrupted Mail programme.
So the way I would go about it is :
A-Locate your mail folder , if you can't find the mail folder then I would try a disk recovery software like Data Rescue II - 1.1 at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1133 . the demo version lets you find the files you are looking for , and is affordable if you really want to keep what you found; so you have the option to know if your mails are still in the system somewhere without spending any money. If your important data is recovered ie: your mail and you decide to purchase the recovery programme then archive them and burn them on a CD so you can re-import them later.
B-Restore your Mail Programme: As i have suggested before use Pacifist , the demo version is fully functional so I would reinstall Mail over the existing one . Mail will be installed by your machine Installer utility and create it's own folder . The installer will mention that a version of Mail exists ,follow the restore option , this way the contents of your mail folder will not be erased should they exist at this location .I mention this because , let suppose you couldn't locate your mail data with the disk recovery programme , there is still a chance that the installer can restore whatever was corrupted and your data reapear in the mail folder . In other words even if no software can recover your mail , it is still worth installing Mail over the existing one using pacifist .Don't forget that pacifist simply let you browse the install disks so you can perform a partial install of corrupted apps instead of a full install ,pacifist only use the install disks tools available .
The philosophy behind this is <first do no harm>
C-The last and final option is a clean reinstall .
Before this radical step run a disk recovery software .Decide if you will keep or if it worth keeping the data ,
Transfer the data you wish to keep on disks or external media.
Reinstall . Import your CD saved data .
Theses are your options , at least the ones I could think of.
Hope you will find this helpful
minkata

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1