RDP printing issue

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: savedisearned PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: RDP printing issue
    ----
My PC at home is running WinXP (Home Ed) and I have a Remote Desktop connection set up to my office PC that runs XP Professional. I am unable to "see" my local printer at home when I connect. Our (not-very-helpful) IT guy says the print drivers for our "home" printers must be installed on our office computer--but when I try to instally my drivers here at work, it won't complete the installation without the printer being actually attached. I suspect the issue is because my home printer (as well as my co-workers' ) is USB and I've tried re-assigning it to a LPT1 port with no luck so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Author: dales PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:
    ----
as far as I know remote desktop is actually a terminal services type thing, so for example if you were to remote desktop onto your home pc nobody walking past you computer would see you doing anything because your not acutally logging on to it in the real sense of the word. is the userid of the home account you have normally have a printer installed. might be a setting somewhere you will need to change but im sure someone with better knowledge than me will be along in a min to help out.

Author: apperraultLocation: Emeryville, CA PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject:
    ----
There is an option on the Terminal Services client (MSTSC) that says map printers when i login. that is what we use, and it works just fine.

If you need more details where it is, let me know and i will get you the exact steps.

app

Author: savedisearned PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for the response! I may be way off base, but I'm pretty sure our IT guy said he didn't actually have terminal server set up--apparently we're bypassing the server and going straight to our PC's (?). In any event, I also learned that the fact my printer at home is a 4-1 printer causes an even bigger obstacle than USB alone. It seems that HP doesn't publish .inf files for certain of these models and it's impossible to choose them from the Add Printer dialog even with the CD in the tray and they don't offer any sort of substitute generic-type driver. Obviously "XP-compatible" means something different to them than me (twerps). I've pretty much decided it's hopeless short of a different printer on my end or a better setup from the office....

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1