Security Software

Networking/Security Forums -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

Author: nighthawk2000 PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Security Software
    ----
What are some good secuirty softwares tha ti can use to check local machines that has confidential stuff, like social secuirt number or credit card numbers? As an IT secuirty person, my job is to scan computers for any confidential data and remove them instead of zero writing the hard drive.

Software should also have ability to scan emails, tash cans, hidden files, hash files, or any other method that file might exist that holds the confidential information.

Thanks

Corrected spelling in title~G

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I am sort of curious. As an IT person, wouldn't you be interested in protecting that data? I would assume that credit card numbers and social security numbers are valuable data. Why erase those?

Or are you asking how to wipe a hard drive clean of confidential data so that it can safely be reused for another purpose?

Author: Ex0dusLocation: Down Under PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:
    ----
windows desktop search.....JK

IMO you should really wipe the whole hard drive as that is the only way to insure you catch everything. searching then removing is just opening yourself to missing data.

Author: Gralfus PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Also, searching and removing would not take into account the "free space", where the information may have existed previously.

Forgive me if I sound dubious, but your request sounds either contrived or ignorant. "Software should also have ability to scan emails, tash cans, hidden files, hash files, or any other method that file might exist that holds the confidential information. " How exactly do you plan on gaining anything useful from "hash files" or encrypted files? Those would fall into the "any other method".

Your request sounds more like "Just tell me how to scan machines for the lucrative info, even if it is protected, he he." Regardless, there is no overall method to search for such information. You can try text pattern matching for existing files.

Author: susanoLocation: Tampa, FL PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
EnCase® Enterprise Information Assurance Suite would probably fit your needs. It has the capability to "Conduct complete classified spillage clean-up with the only tool that enables automatic, targeted search and remediation." It searches across a wide variety of formats, including mailboxes, word documents, and pdf files.

Author: charlesclemens PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Information Security Software is great place for any Security Software. Secure Bytes is an information security software development company which focuses on developing automated tools to strengthen information security management system.

Networking/Security Forums -> Computer Forensics and Incident Response

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1