IP address
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

Author: iambroken PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: IP address
    ----
Is there any way to hide your IP address? So when you access certain web sites they can't find your location? Something you can download (thats free)? Is it legal? Thanks Smile

Author: hushLocation: London PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Tor and privoxy will do the trick.

Sorry i don't know the address's off the top of my head but you could google it. or do a search on the forum.

Yes it is legal

hush

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
it's legal, but some sites will not work if you use this method.

Author: EricPuryear PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:
    ----
There are a few approaches you can take, depending on the level of anonynimity you want. Do you just want your IP address not to show up in web server logs, or do you want it to be much more difficult to prove that you visited a website at all, even against a determined attacker? Here are some options:

Tor and Privoxy:
This combination is probably the best that is reasonably achievable, but slower than other methods. Rather than me explaining how it works, take a look at http://tor.eff.org

Anonymizing Services:
www.secure-tunnel and metropipe.net are a couple. They act as proxies that you can use SSH to connect to and tunnel your requests through them. This is less secure as you have to trust them, and a determined attacker could probably defeat this level of anonynimity pretty easily. On the plus side, they are faster than Tor, but they cost about $7/month.

Author: kim4597 PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: anonymous from network administrator
    ----
well, good day. (especially to Ericpuryear)
i am a newbie here. just installed TOR and TOR extension to my firefox.

my primary intention is to avoid being monitored by the newtwork admistrator in my office netwrok. can TOR do that? and at what expenses.

Really need advice from u guys.

bye

Author: chickenlicken PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: search for
    ----
CGI proxy sites. You go to those sites (such as www.trickmy.net) and simply enter the URL you wish to browse annonymously.....the site you browse will not see your IP address if you have entered thru one of these sites. Easiest way to use proxies and remain annonymous. Nothing to download. All browser based.

Author: EricPuryear PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Good day to you too, kim4597 Smile

Yes, Tor can prevent you from being monitored by your network admin. Depending on what level of monitoring they do, they may notice that you are using Tor, but they won't be able to tell what you are using Tor for. The downside is speed. Tor is a bit slower than browsing the internet normally, as your connections go through three Tor servers, which adds latency and reduces bandwidth... If you can get more specific info on what logging/monitoring they do, perhaps we can come up with a level of security that is "just enough" to defeat the monitoring but maintain as much bandwidth and low latency as possible...

RE: CGI Proxies: These will prevent the site you visit from getting your IP (as long as they don't download the images directly from the server to your computer, as I've seen a few do in order to save the CGI site's bandwidth!). Keep in mind that most of them do not offer encryption. I don't really consider them to be anywere near as secure as Tor.

Author: kim4597 PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Tor
    ----
well, TOR seem interesting. But for a no geek person like me, its kindda complicated. and Eric , thanks for your response. i guess here the monitoring by the administrator wont be that sophisticated.

i have installed it but am still sonfused with the configuration especially with proxy settings.

still digging the info from tor org. hope to get better soon.

well ur help are much appreciated.

kim4597

Author: kim4597 PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: http proxy server
    ----
Hi, need help with tor

i am required to use http proxy server. how can i configure TOR in this situation.

Thanks

Author: hushLocation: London PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:
    ----
If you downloaded the bundle then it is already configured to use the application proxy and you simply have to go to:

>tools within IE
>internet options
>connections tab
>settings button
>tick the ‘use a proxy server for this…’ box
>enter the 127.0.0.1 for the address
>enter 8118 for the port

you can push the advanced button for a little more granularity but those are the basic settings.

If you downloaded them separately then you also need to add a line to privoxys configuration file- you will find said line in the tor documentation. I can’t remember it off the top of my head as I now use the bundle.

hush

Author: kim4597 PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: hi
    ----
well thanks for the reply. i will certainly give it a try

thanks buddy

Author: DaisetsuLocation: Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:
    ----
There's a posablitity that IT also has remote desktop or something like VNC installed. If that's the case then they can still see what you're doing, or other spying software which is hidden on your computer and reports what you do. That type of software is becoming more commonplace lately. Also if the network admin sees a boat load of encrypted traffic(ie. more than you just using a secure website to order stuff) they will become suspicous and might ask you about it.

Generally the rule of thumb is IT is not your enemy, they have rules and restrictions in place for a reason such as data security. I'll admit though there are the hardasses taht won't even let you use USB drives, or run anything not on port 80, but overall it's not usually unreasonable. You might find if you talk to them, whatever you're tryign to do their ok with. We're people too. Smile

Author: kim4597 PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:
    ----
well u r right deisetsu

they are ppl too.

Author: kim4597 PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: not working
    ----
hi, well i have tried as recommended to configure the proxy in the IE and Firefox. Both did not work and i was unable to conncet to internet.

so back to my question:
1) how to configure torr, vidalia and privoxy when i am using an existing proxy server (proxy.**.usm.my, 8080)?
2) how to ensure that i am anonymous?

well friends , really need your help.

Thanks to all

KIM

Author: Skv0znoyLocation: Moscow City PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Ip2location.com for ensuring.

My advice is to use SSH threw TOR . very good.

And how to config. privoxy and TOR :
http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/internet101/f/anonymous_surf.htm

Author: WebGeek182Location: Los Angeles PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I'd recommend simply not visiting sites at work that you don't want your IT department to see. With increase big brother and corporate monitoring, they create slicker methods all the time. Suffice it to say that a close friend of mine works for a company that creates hardware-level corporate monitoring devices that are very hard to fool.

Networking/Security Forums -> Anonymity // Privacy // Spam

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 2