VNC and Hotmail

Networking/Security Forums -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

Author: TXLeXTCLocation: The Great Republic Of Texas PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: VNC and Hotmail
    ----
I have an odd question.

Are there any (known) exploits or possibilities for a hotmail email to try and establish a VNC connection when a message is read?

My Inet blocking/filtering device blocked a VNC connection to my computer from an IP that resolved to hotmail. It was a VNC packet on port 80. I honestly cant remember if at the time of the attempt if I was in hotmail or not, but it is very possible.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Author: qqtortqq PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It would depend on your security settings, I would guess. If you allow activex to run from hotmail, a malicious email could try to create an outbound connection somewhere. I don't know much about activex, if it has as rigourous security precautions as java, but from what I know it would be possible, even more so if you had VNC installed in a default location.

Author: delete852Location: Washington DC PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:
    ----
Someone tried to VNC to your computer after you opened a message from hotmail?

That is possible, all t hey have to do is put in image in there, with a link.
Then on the webserver see who accessed the link and then have a script to automatically VNC to them.. Is that what you are talking about?

Networking/Security Forums -> Exploits // System Weaknesses

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1