• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Windows Integrated dns and linux secondary dns

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Windows Integrated dns and linux secondary dns Reply with quote

I have a Windows Integrated DNS role in my company.
I am planning to setup a secondary/backup DNS and want to use linux.

I did some test and used ubuntu as my linux OS choice.
I already made changes in the windows side allowing zone transfers to the linux dns.
I also had configured linux already according to the tutorials found on the net especially on the ubuntu site.

Here is what my named.conf looks like:

zone "globetel.com" IN {
type slave;
masters { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; ---- this is the windows dns server
file "/var/cache/bind/db.xxx.com"; ---- database containing the dns records
allow-transfer { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; ---- this is the windiws dns server
allow-update { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; }; --- are the servers that can update the dns records on the linux server.
allow-query { any; };
};

When I do a manual transfer of dns records from linux using dig, everything seems to work fine.
But uppon looking at the file /var/cache/bind/db.xxx.com it seems to be empty. I already change the permission on the directory to allow writing.

And when i do a manual transfer from windows to linux using nslookup I get an error saying that
I might not have security permissions on my linux box.

What could I be missing? I hope somebody could help me iron out the step for a windows primary and linux secondary setup for dns.

Also, for the reverse lookup zones. Do I have to manually create them in linux or it can be transferred
manually or automatically from windows to linux.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wicker, can't really help you because I've not touched Linux for almost a decade. But I am wondering if you installed your Ubuntu Linux on a Windows generated native partition?

I vaguely remember years ago that I had comm problems between the two if I did not format the partition with LILO first for the Linux install.

However, take note that this experience is at least 10 years ago. I'm sure someone will wander by with more updated experience to assist you Very Happy

Tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: