• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

My Birthday

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: My Birthday Reply with quote

Today (Sat 9-29) is my Birthday. My wife got me a Kindle last Wednesday for my Birthday and I've been in love with it! Already read 3 books and am very impressed with this device.

I'll most likely spend all day today sitting out in the sun in the back yard reading my Kindle...
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday Tom,

Good deal on getting a Kindle from the wife. I gave my wife a lump of coal for her birthday and told her it would eventually turn into a diamond. She didn't much find it funny either sadly. Laughing
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hard to buy for, I guess. Wife says I'm cheap, and if I think it's too much money for something, I'll do without. I've been talking about getting a kindle for several months now since they only cost about 70 bucks and the books range from free to 9 bucks. Last paperback I bought (The Last Day) cost 10 bucks and it pretty much sucked! So I'm making noises about going back to the Public Library and dealing with their dang time limits -- then my Kindle comes last Wednesday.

I'm in love with it and totally impressed with the print quality. It is the size of a paperback but soooo thin and light. Oh my!
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday!

I resisted a Kindle for ages too but once I had one I am a huge convert and fan. I love being able to try out new authors for under £1 (sometimes free, other times maybe as much as 79pence!).
Also being able to get a free sample of just about any book is great too, especially for non-fiction like popular science and psych books. I also find people like MS Press are often releasing free e-books now, even big ticket books like Windows / SQL Server 2012 stuff.

Mines an older one with keyboard (old? well, nearly a year so practically obsolete land fill fodder nowadays!), newest ones look even sleeker, but mine fits well enough in the back pocket of my jeans.
Expecting it to pay for itself many times over in convenience terms and reducing the number of bookcases we need. As for our trip to New Zealand at Christmas it will simply be brilliant.

As for birthdays, in a couple of days it will be 8 years since I joined SFDC! Ooh, now I'm getting all misty-eyed...
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been 10 years last August since this old dog has been here on SFDC. Doesn't seem possible knowing how fast the web ebbs and grows through the years...

So you got the Keyboard Kindle, eh? Nice unit! I went with the e-Ink 6 inch screen Kindle... onscreen keyboard. Didn't want something that was just gonna replace my laptop -- too redundant in my mind. However, even though I started reading e-books on my laptop, I feel quickly in love with the portability the Kindle gives you. Plus the wi-fi works great for getting more books, fast and somewhat easy to navigate to the book you want to download.

I also discovered under experimental in the menu a web browser. Wow, this is a plus. Works pretty good ... if you have patience to zoom in and out on web pages. I can see where that may come in handy if one is out and about and needs to hit Google real quick.

I've been fasinated with the Survivalist/Post-Acopolipse novels for the past few months. Of all the scenarios I've read so far, I think the most likely would be a world-wide depression (the one I'm hoping for, actually), followed by a world-wide electrical grid failure due to solar activity. This last one would bounce us back to the stone age I think.

I did consider the Kindle Fire, but it's just not an e-book reader. It does music, video, color web browsing, it's trying to be an electronic Swiss Army Knife. I just wanted to read books electronically. So I kept my option of Kindle simple. I'm so glad I went that course. Could always upgrade at a later date if I felt the need. But don't expect that to occur.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE on the Kindle... I am still in love with it! Last June the WiFi stopped working on it, so I could not get it updated without connecting it to my laptop. Called Amazon and they shipped me out a new Kindle for free, then had me return the broken one in a postage paid box they sent along with the replacement Kindle. Cost to me: nothing. I was totally amazed.

I've not read a paper book since I got my kindle. I was surprised at this, but it seems any title I am interested in reading is already offered for the Kindle. And I just love the cost ... generally less than half of the paperback edition.
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost the passion for reading non-fiction about 15 years ago. That said I am not an e-reader fan. I need the tactile feel of the page. Good deal for you with Amazon giving you a replacement.
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Don; I was afraid of the same problem. Not having the feel of the book in my hands, noting my progress by the number of pages I turned as I read. But I was greatly surprised at how well I took to the Kindle. It is almost the size of a paperback, and best part is you can resize the print at any time. So as you grow tired of reading, just enlarge the font another point or two and you're good for another few hours.

What shocked me was the life of the battery. I think I had to plug it in one time after having spent 12 hours with it continuously on. It has never gone dead on me in the middle of reading.

However, I still refuse to read magazines on it. I prefer the full-size of a magazine in my hands. Tried one of my favorite mags on the kindle (Backwoodsman) and it just wasn't the same.
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should my love of reading fiction resurface I might give the Kindle a go but will wait and see. Glad that you like yours though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: