• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

AD Sites and Services question

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: AD Sites and Services question Reply with quote

I have two sites A and B in AD sites and services. Where shall I set/configure so that if all servers in site A is down, authentication/authorization will be done on the servers on Site B?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Answer is... I have a feeling it should just work anyway and find a DC which is alive.

Your biggest concern in this scenario should be DNS - if you run DNS on your DCs (to get directory-replicated integrated DNS) and your DCs are down, how will a client be able to even query to get the address for another name server?
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AdamV,

So it would just find a DC which is alive? Is there a way to control it like specify which DC?

Quote:
Your biggest concern in this scenario should be DNS - if you run DNS on your DCs (to get directory-replicated integrated DNS) and your DCs are down, how will a client be able to even query to get the address for another name server?

This is a good question. My DNS are running on my DCs. So how will a client query addresses if DNS/DC is down?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wickerandvine wrote:
My DNS are running on my DCs. So how will a client query addresses if DNS/DC is down?

It won't. Or rather, it will try to query the DNS servers it knows about, based on what DHCP told it in the first place (assuming you are using DHCP).

It can use its own cache stored up before the DCs fell over, but when it tries to contact a DC it already knows about and fails, it will need to find out where another one is, and if there are no DNS servers available for it then you are in trouble.
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AdamV, This is very informative.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: