• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Windows 2008 Folder permissions issue!

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeebaluch
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Windows 2008 Folder permissions issue! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!!! Well I'm having some worst class issue with server 2008 folder permissions..... I have made a folder and given it all permission but not the Delete rights means user cannot delete the file. What I'm facing I can create file with in the folder and if its a txt file then I can also modify within the file as I wanted. But when I create MS-Word or Excel it can't be modified.... what's the issue with that?? If i give this folder full permission then everything is fine but when I deny deletion permission on the folder then I also cant make modification in Word, Excel files. Please help me, I want none of my user able to delete the file but can make modification and changes but cannot delete!!!!
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have more than 1 instance of the word/excel file running then only one user can modify the file! Are you getting a Read-Only message when opening the word or excel file?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mechanics to understand first:
When you edit a file in a program such as Word, you want to make sure that your changes get saved.

So when you save the file it does not write over the file it opened. What would happen if you lost power right at that moment? The original file and the new one would both be half baked and you would have nothing.

Instead, what it does is it writes the changed data as a temporary file, makes sure it is completely written and then deletes the original one and renames the new one to the correct name.

Notice the important bit here - it deletes the old file. So if you prevent the user being able to delete files, temporary or otherwise, you also prevent them from saving their changes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: