• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Windows Access Restrictions

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamestec
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Windows Access Restrictions Reply with quote

Hello, I have Windows Professional SP3.

How do I restrict a user's access to 'C: drive' ,but still allow them to run programs in the 'C: drive'. I want to make them not be able to view the folders and files in the 'C: drive', but still be able to run them with shortcuts.

I have tried going to 'Properties', 'Security' Tab and then changing the stuff, and i've managed to notice that if I disable 'List Folder/Read Data', the user can't access 'C: drive', but it also make other things not work, e.g my Antivirus. I've also tried 'Only this Folder' but it still the same.

So how to I make a user not able to look at the contents of 'C: drive', but still able to run programs from 'C: drive'?
Dezaxa
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand your requirement correctly, the privilege you need to set is called "Traverse Folder/Execute File". You may also need to remove the "bypass traverse checking" privilege from the user. There is more information about file and folder privileges in Windows XP here:

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419 [/url]

Alternatively, you may be able to work round the issue by storing whatever confidential information you have in a separate partition.
Jamestec
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the account in "Bypass Transverse Checking" doesn't work for me, it doesn't let me log in at all for that account.

Any more ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: