• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Need Protection for a Small Website...

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeekChic
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Need Protection for a Small Website... Reply with quote

Hey there,

I am new to the site and new to the world of internet security, I am here to get some more information on how I can protect my site. My website is small and gets a couple thousand hits a month, and needs to be protected from hackers. What are my options here and how much should I expect to pay.

What would be the benefits of using a security software versus a web application firewall?

Thanks!

GeekChic
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GeekChic,

There are guides, best practices and tools you can use to harden your web server. Are you hosting the web site yourself? If so please describe your network topology. What OS/Web Server are you using?
nailz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of content are you hosting that you are worried about hackers on such a small site?

If you are using a hosting company please list it with your response to the above post.

Look forward to helping you
HelpSecure
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: I hope this helps Reply with quote

Hey,

A web application firewall does not route traffic on the network layer. All traffic stops at the firewall which may initiate its own connections if the traffic satisfies the rules.

Security software is very useful because it can prevent malicious patterns in executable code. There are several drawbacks to using a software such as degrading your computers performance and it does not stop hackers.

There is an alternative which SaaS (Software as a Service). It is generally associated by software professionals and business associates with business software and is typically thought of as a low-cost way for businesses to obtain rights to use software as needed versus licensing all devices with all applications.

Even if your website doesn't get too much activity, you still want to make sure that its 100% safe, and not low ball it because you want to save money. I do a lot of software research for my company, and have recently come across this new service called XyberShield. It is a relatively new concept for Internet Security, enacting a Behavior Based Protection that attacks and stops cyber attacks before they cause damage to your website. Everything from SQL Injection, Cross Site Scripting, SSI Injection, Brute Force Attacks, and HTTP Response Splitting is shut down through this service. The best part about it is its cheap compared to other services and products. You might want to check it out if your looking for something to protect your web application with, heres the link

http://xybershield.com

Hope I answered some of your questions, let me know if I can be of anymore help!

-HS
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To protect your website from hackers, you must take a proactive stand on a daily basis. the hackers are already on their way into your data. Remember, hackers can do damage from inside the company as well, so take a step to maintain your server. keep all virus and spyware protection up to date. If possible daily check the password of your site and password must be a long characters.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Security Related Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: