Joined: 10 Aug 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
|Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:44 am Post subject: Security Forum RULES ... please read!
Security Forums (SF) was set-up in April 2002 by a group of like-minded friends who were interested in computers and computer security, the idea was for the site to become a friendly community for security and other areas, for asking questions, gaining experience and learning in a welcoming atmosphere.
There is a lot of information on the Internet, but it can be very daunting for a new user or even confusing for an intermediate user. We wanted to get away from the bad attitudes and flaming of Usenet and create a relaxed, but knowledgeable user base that will eventually fill our forum with answers to common questions.
We do always recommend that new users use the Search feature: http://www.security-forums.com/forum/search.php As a lot of common questions have already been asked/answered.
First of all this is NOT a hacking/cracking or warez forum, anything related to these topics unless it is pertinent to a current discussion or is security related is not welcome.
· Please speak to others as you would if you were talking face to face, this means no l33t sp34k (replacing letters with numbers) unless it is for comedy value, we all add the odd h4x0r in now and then .
· Avoid any kinds of offensive/abusive, racial, sexual, derogatory or inflammatory comments, of course jokes within limits are acceptable in the Funny Stuff section.
· Only one username is allowed per person, if you have another for any reason please notify us so we can remove the redundant account.
· Trolling for the sake of it won't get you anywhere, please avoid doing this, for the uninitiated trolling is purposely trying to start a pointless argument or flame fest. Trollers can and often are banned from the site on the first offence.
· Lurking is good, this means hanging around, reading plenty of posts and getting a feel for the forum, if you do this you will know how to post to get the best out of the forum.
· Please be constructive with your input. When posting please post what you have done so far and what you are ultimately trying to accomplish. Often, it is a good idea to describe your computer, or software settings.
· Remember to be as nice/friendly as possible and have fun, after all that's why we are all here.
· No subject matter will be allowed whose sole purpose is to defeat existing security measures at your place of work, your school, your ISP or any other entity. If the user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal, we reserve the right to contact whatever official agency we deem appropriate.
· When posting please take CARE with your posts, double check the spelling and grammar, don't use abbreviations like "ur" and "iz" and "da" as it's annoying and childish, and your posts will be removed. This is a professional forum, and I'm afraid we won't tolerate sloppy posting. English may not be your first language but that's no excuse not to make an effort. Read how other people post, use a spell-checker, this all boils down to having some respect for us and Security Forums.
· As far as posting goes, please do your research. Use the search function (duplicate topics are not welcome and will be removed without notice), search the web; and try first to read the manual .
· As a follow on from the above, please do not post your homework questions or assignments here, the whole point you were given the project was to further your education (to teach you something). If we answer the questions for you, you aren't learning anything. We can spot these kinds of posts easily, however you try to package them; we have all been through the education system and know what assignments and homework questions look like. Posts of this kind will be removed.
· If you are not sure what a term or acronym is, please try to look it up first on Google before asking. If you can't find it, then feel free to ask.
· DO NOT cross post (post the same question in multiple categories), it's likely if you do this that all of your posts will be removed.
· If a topic gets locked by a Moderator or an Administrator, please do not restart the same topic in another thread. This could result in your being banned from the site.
· When you post a question please try and make the subject as specific as possible, this helps people searching for answers and aids people answering questions to easily locate questions relevant to their area of expertise e.g. 'I need help' is not effective whereas 'cannot start MySQL after restore' is.
· If a discussion in an existing thread sparks a new question or line of debate, please make a new thread.
· You don't have to post in every thread you see. If you can't be helpful or add something positive/informative/humorous please don't post. This means NOT posting "Thanks" at the bottom of a thread or "Yeah, I agree" or anything of that nature.
· Do not post lengthy cut and paste articles in the middle of a thread. Posting a link will be fine, just let people know what to expect when they click on it.
· If someone specifically asks about a product or application, tell them about that, don't tell them how you think something else is better. Feel free to answer the question and add that you feel something else is a better product with justification.
· If you don't like a subject, a poster or a moderator or something/someone gets on your nerves; stay away. Don't wreck the thread, start a flame war, and don't attempt to act as the moderator of this forum.
· Swearing is banned, and can lead to deactivation of your account.
· Avoid posting twice or more consecutively in the same thread, if you want to reply to 2 different people just use [quote="Name"] twice in 1 post rather than making 2 new posts. Also if you've made a mistake or have additional information USE the edit button, DO NOT post again.
· When posting someone else's material please include them as a source at the bottom both for acknowledgements of their work and for any copyright issues.
· When posting massive cut and pastes PLEASE PLEASE format them properly or we will just delete them, it takes us a lot of time to format them, if you are willing to post it, then format it.
· We operate a STRICT no spamming policy, we will not tolerate blatant spamming of any commercial sites, affiliate schemes, xxx, warez or any other money making schemes.
· We have no problem with links to other sites that are on topic or relevant, linking is one of the fundamentals of the internet. Beware that if you sign up and post a URL as your first post, it will be considered spam and removed without consideration.
· This extends to personal sites, we encourage posting of anything on-topic. If you provide a service or software that may be of interest to our members you are welcome to post as long as it's non-commercial (e.g. Open Source or Free services). Please include a description, introduction and screen shots if relevant, a URL on it's own will most likely be removed.
· If you wish to use our forum as a form of free-advertisement, it's not going to happen. Such posts will be removed, and the poster may possibly be banned from Security Forums.
· You are more than welcome to post your personal site for suggestions of improvements and to get opinions from our members. This is best suited to the Programming section. Be prepared for a lot of constructive criticism though as there are some great web developers, programmers and design freaks that inhabit this forum.
· There are only a few simple rules for Avatars, when uploading you will face the first 2, 100x100 pixels max and 8kb max file size.
· NO animated Avatars.
· No images in signatures (unless they are SF emoticons and please don't go overboard).
· Only use standard text size (or smaller), non-obtrusive colours and 5 or fewer lines in signatures.
· If you wish to link to your site in your signature please show some courtesy and link back to us on your site (this is not strictly enforced).
· Only one link per signature is now allowed on SF due to previous abuse.
· "Donate to me" or any other kind of donation oriented link is not allowed.
· Nothing offensive/overtly sexual or deemed of bad taste (outside the realms of common decency) will be allowed.
· We reserve the right to edit or delete any Avatar or Signature without prior warning if it's against the forum guidelines.
Signatures of a commercial nature will be allowed if:
1. It is a single line. (Personal lines will be allowed up to a grand total of 5 lines including the commercial line).
2. The single line contains 10 words or less, including the link.
3. No color text allowed. We will allow bold, italic and underline.
4. Signature font size must be Normal or smaller.
5. The commercial link MUST represent the poster. Either place of employment, or ownership of a business. The staff will evaluate Signature links on a case by case basis, and remove those links which are considered attempts at blatantly spamming.
6. Members who abuse the above 5 rules will be barred from posting commercial links and/or be banned from the site if other rules are broken in an attempt to spam our membership.
7. No animated graphics nor images larger than emoticon size.